Sunday, October 5, 2008

Make a Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett Costume








I have decided to make a Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett costume this year for Halloween. Since there are no real patterns out there, I am going to try to find something to make my own. I will keep everyone posted to new developments in the outfits.

I have been thrift store shopping for vintage clothing at Goodwill and such places with no luck. I did go to Joanns recently and bought some cool decorator fabric that looks very antique for $3/yard - got 7 yards (I am trying to do this on a budget). I have looked all over the internet for costumes and they are soooooo expensive and not up to the exact look I want. I figure $50 will be my budget for the costume (so x 2 = $100 total budget .... I will try not go over:)

I do tend to stock up on patterns when they go on sale for $0.99 each, so I had some patterns in my arsenal. Luckily, patterns were on sale again so I was able to find something that would fit what I had in mind...

for Sweeney's vest I decided on Simplicity 4083 - I will make the dickey too since Matt already has a similar shirt but not collar... had the pattern and I already have some fabric I think I will use, it's a brown moleskin that I happen to have... so far I haven't had to buy anything yet:)

for Mrs. Lovett bloomers and shirt - simplicity 2777
skirt - butterick 3418 ($1.99)
black and red verticle stockings - Ordered online from Jaded Minx ($14)
underbust corset - Fredericks of Hollywood Ultimate Cincher ($25)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your ideas! In case you didn't find this when you were looking, here is another version of the Mrs. Lovett costume.

http://simply-sewing.blogspot.com/2009/04/simplicity-2881-mrs-lovetts-wedding.html

linda said...

I am going to make the Mrs. Lovett costume for a friend to wear to a theater bandquet in May 2011. I will let you know how it turns out and post a photo on my blog.
http://craftsbylindam.blogspot.com/
Thank you for your suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Which skirt from the butterick pattern did you make? Because I'm thinking about a Mrs. Lovett costume and the skirt is one of my last issues to figure out. So, that would be very helpful!